Thursday, June 17, 2010

Ontario International (aka Scam)

Yes, this is a double post edition...

If anyone sends or calls you claiming you're a winner and they refer to you as "Award Winner" or "Mr./Mrs. Last Name" DON'T BELIEVE THEM.

Last week, I had someone called asking for Mrs. Yip to which I replied "Who's calling?" They just proceeded to tell me that I won a choice of 5 prizes and claimed that I entered a contest back in Dec 09 at a supermarket (Loblaws or Wal-Mart). I can say for certain that I DIDN'T enter anything. I thought, hey, let's entertain these people. I'm bored anyway.

They asked if I was in this age range and if I was married. I answered yes and no to those question. The next question was "do you have a boyfriend or someone?" I said, "No."
"But that's ok, you can still claim the prize. Because we just establish our business in Canada, all you need to do is to just tell your friends and family of how great we are. Now, I'm going to transfer you to my manager and he will tell you how to claim the prize."
Somehow that was enough info and he passed me onto "Steve Tark" who is a senior manager with the company. Predictably, Mr. Tark repeated the same thing "Congratulation, Mrs. Yip. You have won a wonderful choice of 5 prizes. Are you between the ages 23-65" (I think that was the range)
"Yes"
"Are you married?"
"No."
"Do you have a boyfriend?"
"No."
"That's ok, you can still come in and claim the prize. Just come to our office Thursday at 6pm. Our receptionist will answer all your questions. The receptionist will take you to our back room and you can pick your prize there."
Just so you know, this has already gone on about 15min by the time the call was transferred to Steve Tark.
"Do you have a first name?"
"I don't have the ballot with me, ma'am." (brilliant)
"So, who are you looking for? I have other people living here with the same last name."
"I understand ma'am but you can claim the prize."
"But you can't tell me who you're looking for?"
"As I said ma'am, the call was transferred to me and the ballot is in a different department."
"That's not my problem."
"I understand ma'am. But you can still claim the prize with the ticket number my staff gave you earlier. You can come in Thursday at 6pm."
"I'm busy."
"Not a problem, you can come in Saturday at 6pm or next Tuesday at 6pm."
"Nope, busy."
"When are you available?"
"Only Thursday from 3-4."
"Well, that is our business hour but let me see what I can do and I will give you a call back."
"Ok."
"Thank you and congratulation."

That's the rough conversation. It's been a week and they have not called back. It's kinda too bad I didn't write the number down... But here's the information of this "company" - Ontario International, 6175 Hwy 7 Unit 6 in Woodbridge.

Ironically, I do drive on Hwy 7 and specifically that area 2 times a week... So, I took a glace as I drove by on Hwy 7. AND as expected, there it was 6175 Hwy 7 Unit 6. Two cars parked in front. Front office light on. NO SIGN. I do not buy the "new building" argument. There are other businesses beside them and THEY have company sign.

10 comments:

  1. Had the same people call me, I didn't believe them and told them that I didn't fill anything out. And I know that for sure since the number that they called has only been my number since April 2010 and they said the ballot was filled out in December 2009.
    Thanks for the post, glad to know I was not the only one. And thanks for the address!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got a call from them today and I talked to them a while as I was checking my email and surfing the web. They went by something like Ontario Source Corporation. I was dogsitting at my sister's place and so I said I didn't fill out any ballot, I was not Mrs. V and there was no Mrs. V (truthful, my sister didn't take her husband's name) but they didn't seem to care, as long as it seemed someone would come 'pick up the prize,' which I was also very wishy washy about.
    Lots of people have been hearing from them: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/telemarketing-scam-ontario-international-900447/

    What I don't understand is why they ask people whether they're married or not. Oh well, I hope people don't fall for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow weird, I got a call and just like you, I talked to them for entertainment. Said that all I have to do is walk in and fill some ballot. I hung up on them after they asked for my full name and they repeatedly kept calling me.
    I didn't give out any of my information but they asked if I was in between certain ages and If I' married.
    Some things are way too good to be true.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got a call from them too - they are now called "Premium International", 6175 HWY7, Unit 6, tel 905 754 5163 x 2424. I spoke to "Daniel", who told me that I won a prize (1500 cash equiv). prizes - trip to niagara, florida, furniture set... All I have to do is to visit their place and pick it up. Definitely, a scam...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did anybody go and collect the "prize"?
    I got a call today, but do not intend to go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know how busy we all are at this time of year. Well, I am expecting family visiting from overseas for Christmas and I am way behind with my preparations. Yesterday, as I tried to put up my Christmas decorations, I was rudely interrupted by a telemarketing call. I've always tried my best to be respectful to them, because when my husband and I came here many years ago, as IT profesionals, he had to resort to telemarketing to help take care of me and our weeks-old baby.

    Well, I wasted around 35 precious minutes on the phone with this female telemarketer, who kept calling me, "nice lady", and would NOT take "no" for an answer. When she finally put me through the her manager, I became very irritated with him, as I smelled fish when I realized how much he was PLEADING with me to come and just pick up my prize. Now, who does that?! It's my bad if I want to be a dork and not claim my prize. His pleading did not seem sincere, to say the least. He denied that they are a timeshare company and evaded my questions about how long the whole process would take from the time I arrived to the time I left with my prize. Finally, when I threatened to hang up if he evaded my question one more time, he admitted that I would have to SIT THROUGH A 90 MINUTES PRESENTATION, afterwhich, I would be lead into the back room to select (with my very own hands, he stressed) my prize. Believe me, I was reeeaaalllly tempted, but this whole thing reeked of fish, so I asked him kindly to remove my name from their distribution list and don't call again.

    Lastnight I was in absolute turmoil, thinking about this wonderful opportunity that I allowed to slip through my fingers. So, I was planning on calling them this morning to say I would like to come at 6:00 p.m. today to claim my prize.

    In the process of googling their company, so that I could determine their telephone number (I do not pay for caller id feature), I stumbled upon this blog. Man, am I thankful!

    QUESTION: HAS ANYONE ACTUALLY BEEN TO CLAIM THEIR PRIZE? I'M STILL VERY CURIOUS TO KNOW WHAT THE SCAM IS.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No, after that night, they have never called again. If I'm in the area, I will see if the building have been updated with company name whatsoever.

    Thanks for sharing your stories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. someone actually went and entertained their presentation

    http://forums.redflagdeals.com/telemarketing-scam-ontario-international-900447

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just got a call 2 days after going to the Canadian Autoshow and I spoke to Kevin Ortiz and the (supposed) manager Jonathan.

    I agreed to go with my wife to the 8:00pm 90 min presentation only after they assured me that there was no financial obligation involved and that immediately after the presentation I would draw for one of the 5 prizes.

    I asked if I was going to leave with the gift or would I just get some kind of voucher, and at first the manager told me that of course I would get some kind of certificate and then later changed his story and said I would definitely leave with a prize. After I agreed to sit in on a presentation, another guy called me back 20 min later from the "award center" but I just asked him to put me on his "do not call list" and I hung up on him.

    These guys are without a doubt pure and simple scammers and would say just about anything to get you to their presentation. There's a lot of background noise where they call you from so if you ask you a question they just pretend as if they didn't hear you.

    I've already filed a complaint with the BBB and if these guys contact you too you should do the same.

    don't believe a word these guys say...
    - Premium Buyer's Direct
    - 647-770-0102
    - 6175 Hwy 7, suite #6, Woodbridge, ON
    - http://www.premiumbuyers.net/00_contactus.php

    ReplyDelete
  10. I see this blog was from 2010. Two years later, they are still doing the same trick. I got a call yesterday & then followed by this email:

    2012 Winners Show & Draw
    Congratulations!

    Official Entry Package
    VIP and preferred guest


    Claim Number

    We are thrilled to advise you that you and your family have been selected as FINALISTS for our WINNERS SHOW & DRAW. Each winner and selected finalist is guaranteed to receive one of five high valued prizes.

    Remember that our Winner Show & Draw is not available to the general public and is for show finalist only. You are entitled to receive ONE of FIVE High Valued Prizes GUARANTEED. Our exciting and entertaining WINNERS SHOW and DRAW takes approximately 90 minutes.

    “YOU ARE GUARANTEED TO RECEIVE ONE OF THE FIVE PRIZES’

    Prizes

    All winners
    and selected finalists are required to bring two pieces of identification and their claim #, as proof of their identification. This is your entitlement to the finalist draw and guaranteed prize

    To claim your prize, you must have a combined family income of $50,000/year; and be accompanied by your spouse. Unfortunately we cannot accomodate children under the age of 16.

    Anyone who has participated in this promotion within the last calander year does not qaulify

    ReplyDelete