Monday, September 15, 2014

Thumb Watch 2014

What a way to end your slo-pitch season.

It is the last day of the season for playoffs. We won the quarter final game and now for the semi-final game. We win. We play in the final. We lose. We hit the booze for a fine season.

6th inning... left handed batter... ground ball... I went to get the ball. It hit me. Some how, I knew something didn't feel right but I finished off the play. I looked at my thumb and saw blood. I instinctively ran off the field screaming "call the ambulance!"

I got first aid on the spot but it was bad enough that I went to the hospital. So after 3 hours, I received 5 or 6 stitches and a permanent thumbs up.

The good news is there were no broken thumb. The issue is now doing things either with one hand of with my left hand. Luckily, I am ambidextrous. I am able to do things with my left hand, except my writing looks like a 5 year old... It could have been worse. Just need to rest up and heal.

So, things that I have been doing with either left hand or one-hand...
- shower... it was difficult and weird. It's not using the left hand part, it's the one hand part. It's definitely awkward
- computer... using the mouse isn't weird. It's the typing with one hand. I can use my right hand but the giant thumb gets in the way...
- driving... more dangerous then weird. I have only used my right hand as balance
- eating... the most difficult part is chopstick with left hand. I can use chopstick in my left hand but the awkwardness when you're at table. It's also muscles that I don't use often in my left hand

So far, that's what I've encountered... We'll see what tomorrow brings...

No comments:

Post a Comment