Thursday, August 25, 2011

Go Jays Go

Hey, I am not a bandwagonner... I do cheer and watch the Blue Jays. I think the only reason why the Blue Jays can draw no more then 23,000 average is the economy of baseball.

How do you expect to be competitive when you are in the same division as 2 teams that who just buy what they need? But the Jays are moving in the right direction. Oh man... Bautista and Lawrie are the biggest names RIGHT now!

But that's not what this post is about... There have been talks about ways to expand the Blue Jays' fandom. When there was the Toronto Blue Jays and the Montreal Expos, it was Montreal is Quebec's team and Toronto is English Canada's team. Remember 1992 to 1994? I would have LOVED to have seen both the Jays and Expos in the playoff. I wonder if 92 or 93 Jays vs 94 Expos, who really would have won? I really sucked to see the Expos leave...

So, according to the Ottawa Citizen, there is a possibility of a AA team in the nation's capital by 2013 or 2014. And you know this has probably been talked for a while but very likely that Mr. Brett Lawrie is the catalyst of bring the issues to the light.

The Blue Jays have already placed a single-A affiliate in Vancouver and it only make sense to have minor league affiliate in other major Canadian cities.

Previous Blue Jays minor league affiliate in Canada were: Medicine Hat Blue Jays, and St. Catharine's Stompers or Blue Jays.

There had also been Canadian cities that had minor league teams not affiliated with the Blue Jays: Calgary Cannons, Edmonton Trappers, and Ottawa Lynx are the ones I can name off the top of my head. A list of defunct teams here.

So, as mentioned, an AA team in Ottawa I think it's a great idea and why not revive the Lynx? Though I've never seen an Ottawa Lynx game... but why stop there? I think if it's possible, the Blue Jays should find an owner who would purchase Las Vegas 51s and move them to Montreal. But I wouldn't call them the Montreal Expos, unless they're a major league team. So, why not Montreal Royals? I think Bell Media should consider making a purchase and move the team if not Montreal then Quebec City.

Some people might ask "why would Bell work with a rival company like Rogers?" Simple. Just look at the Olympic Consortium. It worked, didn't it? And how did the broadcast of 2010 Vancouver Olympic go? Near perfection. So, why not? And if Bell Media doesn't want in on the action, I'm sure a Quebec company like Videotron might (Although, I'm sure they want the Nordiques back first... I agree).

I don't see a down side. You will have a sound financial backing and have the opportunity to showcase future major league stars. Imagine an AA in Ottawa and an AAA in Montreal/Quebec and baseball fans in Canada would have had the opportunity to see future stars like Kyle Drebek, Brett Lawrie, and Adeiny Hechavarria.

And while we're on the topic of an affiliate in Quebec, the owners would be wise enough to at least teach the players a little bit of français.

I think this would be neat:
AL Toronto Blue Jays
AAA Montreal Royals/Quebec Metros (AA 1971-77)
AA Ottawa Lynx
A Vancouver Canadians

If you can have another team or two in Alberta in the Rookie A ball, then the organization will truly be coast-to-coast.

The Blue Jays have already been coast-to-coast this winter to promote the Jays. I think it's time for the next step to return minor league pro team back to some cities.

No comments:

Post a Comment