Monday, October 10, 2011

Hercules and Xena - The Animated Movie: The Battle for Mount Olympus

That's a mouthful title, isn't it?

So where do I begin? First... THIS because it's easier for you to click on IMDB's webpage and read about it.

Then watch this:


Earlier this year I lost 300GB of stuff on my hard drive. I still haven't been able to access it without paying way too much money for those data recovery service. In the past few days (or week), I have been redownloading everything that I had... or at least, that I can remember. I had photos, movies, musics, ebooks, comics and tv shows. This was not a part of the lost data. However, I'd figure it is better to have a digital copy then to go and dig out my VHS tape. Yes, you read that right... VHS tape!

This movie was released in 1997 (and I was still in high school) and I remember seeing the VHS being sold in my weekly flyer at a store called "Bi-Way." It is an early 90s version of an upscale dollar store, sorta speak. And this VHS was advertised for $14.99CAD and I think I cut the ad down and saved it in some box somewhere in my house.

Being a fan of Hercules and Xena TV Show, I really wanted this. It was direct to home video. I may eventually go and find the DVD copy (for the extras) but the downloaded version will have to do.

If you recall the year 1997, Power Rangers was in its 3rd spin-off as "Power Rangers Turbo." Fox Kids was literally at its height. You have cartoons like Spiderman, X-Men, and there were some Batman cartoon. So, it was some good times.

When I popped in the VHS into the VCR (google them if you have no clue what a VHS and VCR is), I was very confused! And almost 15 years later, I am still confused. Watch the trailer again...

What I found really strange was the quality of the animation. It was done in a very 1950s era cartoon like Bugs Bunny or even 1960s Spiderman. I am not sure if they wanted to keep the budget low or done in an artistic way. Some of the scene's background are a very nice looking painting...

Another thing about the animation is... all the character's were left handed. I can never figure out if this was because the animators (all Koreans as seen at the end credits) were drawing a mirror image of themselves or they were all left handed. Some scenes were showing them as right handed but it was only 10% and it is these minor things that bugs me.

Now that I rewatched again, boy did the script not live up to its live action show. There were no depth. It seems to be one of those "ok, height of the TV shows... let's milk it for what it's worth." There were some humours in the animation but it certainly missed the "Oomph" of the TV show.

The highlight, of course, is hearing Kevin Sorbo (Hercules), Lucy Lawless (Xena), Michael Hurst (Iolaus), Renee O'Connor (Gabrielle), and the late Kevin Smith (Ares) reprise the role for the animation. Also as a treat, fans of the show get to hear Lucy Lawless sing! (It's about half way through the movie)

As a fan of the show, I still love it even with the cheese factor to the max. Although, I am really not sure where the VHS is...

There are other Hercules and Xena related media out there. However, I have actually been disappointed with most of them.

Hercules: The Legendary Journey comics released by Topps
Xena: Warrior Princess comics released by three different companies: Topps, Dark Horse and Dynamite
A Hercules: The Legendary Journey Game Boy Color game...
A very poor Xena: Warrior Princess Game Boy Color game
A Hercules: The Legendary Journey N64 game
A Xena: Warrior Princess: The Talisman of Fate N64 game that is a fighting game
A pretty decent Xena: Warrior Princess Playstation (PS1) game
A horrifically TERRIBLE Xena: Warrior Princess Playstation 2 game that's only available in UK PAL (and I downloaded this... it's VERY boring. I'm not even sure if it's worth buying for collection)

Some fans are still waiting for this Xena movie... I think most fans would be happy if they made a game with the show's writer and gave the game a God of War like treatment. I will post my idea in another post...

No comments:

Post a Comment